The San Carlo Theatre: the second edition of Regione Lirica
From the 25th June to the 17th July 2021 the San Carlo Theatre's shows return to Piazza del Plebiscito for the Regione Lirica Festival. The opera comes back to play in the most important square of Naples, where there are the two important monuments of the Royal Palace and the Basilica di San Francesco di Paola. The festival's protagonists will be the most important exponents of Naples Opera, Orchestra, Coro and Ballet, in addition to big international names.
It is the second edition of the Neapolitan Massimo Lirico in square shows, after the huge success of last year. It was born by the need to follow the new rules for the Coronavirus pandemic that has imposed the closing down of the theatres and the necessity to guarantee the distancing.
The festival has been made possible thanks to the support of the Regione Campania.
The calendar of concerts of San Carlo in Piazza del Plebiscito
The opening of Regione Lirica's second edition is on the 25th of June 2021 with Carmen by Georges Bizet, the opera-comique beloved in every part of the world. Elīna Garanča will be the protagonist of the show: she goes back to San Carlo after the huge success of the last December in Cavalleria Rusticana. On stage with her, will be Jean-François Borras (Don José) and Mattia Olivieri (Escamillo). Dan Ettinger will direct the Orchestra, Coro and Children's Choir.
On the 4th July 2021: Ballet of the San Carlo Theater entitled From Petipa to Nureyev directed by the new ballet director Clotilde Vayer. The ballet in the first part will consist of some extracts from the Sleeping Beauty by Pëtr Il'ič Čajkovskij with the choreography of Marius Petipa and in the second part the II Act from Swan Lake by Pëtr Il'ič Čajkovskij with the choreography of Rudolf Nureyev.
On the 7th July 2021: Orchestra and Coro of San Carlo Theatre, directed by the maestro Juraj Valcuha, will perform in the concert Suite # 2 from Spartacus by Aram Khachaturian and the cantata by Sergej Prokof'ev Alexander Nevskij Op. 78.
On the 15th July 2021: in the end, The Troubadour by Giuseppe Verdi with Luca Salsi (the Count of Luna), Anna Netrebko (Leonora), Yusif Eyvazov (Manrico), Anita Rachvelishvili (Azucena). Orchestra and Coro of San Carlo Theatre directed by the maestro Marco Armiliato.
The reopening of the San Carlo theater in Naples
Furthermore, if the theatres will be open from 25 to 31 July, it will take place, again at the San Carlo Theater, the Elixir of Love by Gaetano Donizetti. A new production for Naples, directed by Damiano Micheletto.
The Orchestra and Coro will be directed by the maestro Riccardo Frizza. In the cast Rosa Feola, Gabriele Viviani and, for the first time in San Carlo, Xabier Anduaga.
Opera music will play around Campania in summer 2021
The Regione Lirica event will not be limited only to Piazza Plebiscito, but it will foresee a real "widespread season", in which great music will be the real protagonist throughout the Campania region. A series of summer shows will take place in some of the most important tourist and historic places in Campania.
- On the 29th of June in Summonte and on the 1st July in the Vesuvian Villas, the Choir of the San Carlo Theater in Naples will perform in Carmina Burana by Carl Orff, under the direction of maestro Josè Luis Basso.
- On the 11th of July at the Bourbon Palace and on the 17th July at the Peria of Reggia di Caserta (on the occasion of the 6th edition of A King Summer): the special appointment with the Ballet of the San Carlo Theatre with From Petipa to Nureyev.
- On the 16th of July at the Roman Theatre in Benevento, on the 24th of July in the Abbazia del Goleto, on the 28th of July in Carditello Palace, on the 30th of July in the Campi Flegrei Archeological Park and on the 16th of September at the Campanian Amphitheater in Capua: the Orchestra of the San Carlo Theater in Naples, directed by Maurizio Agostini, will hold a concert dedicated to film music.
- On the 18th of July at the Aperia of the Royal Palace in Caserta: the special symphonic concert with the San Carlo Theater Orchestra conducted by Juraj Valcuha and the solo violin, just in his twenties, Gennaro Cardaropoli.
- On the 19th of September in Naples Cathedral, on the occasion of the feast of St. Gennaro, the Chorus of the San Carlo Theater, under the direction of Josè Louis Basso, will perform the Cantata for Soli, Chorus and Organ by Gaetano Manna. While at the San Carlo Theater the concert with the three great tenors Francesco Meli, Javier Camarena and Francesco Demuro, to pay tribute to Enrico Caruso on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of his death.